Saturday, December 24, 2011

Christmas

Today I am feeling homesick for a place that doesn't exist. It's Christmas and I'm in the middle of the desert. It's hot and sunny and dusty and I'm at work. I'm also Muslim, but for some reason my heart is aching and I feel like I shouldn't be here. I should be in North America with my family around a fireplace sipping hot cocoa. There should be snow on the ground and houses should be lit up and pretty. Gwen went home for Christmas and my sister also went and has been sending photos of snow and the Christmas tree and my grandmother's baking. Why am I not there?
;
Believe it or not, I have only celebrated one Christmas with my Christian family in North America. It was the winter of 1995 and I was a kid. Since then I have been fantasizing about Christmas whenever December arrives. Sometimes I wish I felt the same way about Eid.
;
I feel homesick for the combination of magical elements that have remained intact in my memory throughout my teens years and now my adult life (tree, snow, baking, hot cocoa, fireplace, gifts, music, family, traditions, warmth, happiness). I should be there. Scotty isn't helping me either. Have a blessed Christmas wherever you are.

No comments:

Post a Comment